As we turn the calendar from spring to summer, graduation parties span the seasons. College commencement ceremonies present diplomas to those who have earned their degree. We think of that as an ending, but “commencement” is a rich word signifying a new beginning!
Similarly, retirement marks both an ending and a beginning. Quoting a newly published article on the website, The Senior List: “Retirement, after all, is not the end of life, but the chance for either a new beginning (whatever that means for the retiree) or to continue challenging oneself while applying one’s intelligence, energy and accrued skills in a new arena.”
We are already in the midst of the silver tsunami, with 10,000 Americans turning age 65 every day. A story written by Chuck Sudo last month for Senior Housing News states: “As baby boomers enter the market, their expectation is not only will they have more by moving in, they will be more, as well. It’s this idea that now is the time [for older adults] to think about legacy, purpose and meaning.”
Kendal at Granville and Denison University are two prominent entities in the Granville community with a mutually beneficial relationship, known in the senior living industry as a University Based Retirement Community (UBRC). This strong organic connections date back to before the 2005 opening of the continuing care retirement community, as Kendal at Granville’s two founding couples were both affiliated with Denison. Research validates that Boomers are tending to opt for retirement centers with intellectually stimulating, social and intergenerational opportunities.
UBRCs, like Kendal at Granville, not only provide residents with access to educational and social opportunities, as well as campus facilities, but also give university students and faculty additional teaching, research and volunteer possibilities. Everybody wins!
In 2018, Kendal at Granville and Denison University signed a new Collaboration Agreement that preserves the autonomy of both parties while seeking to foster closer affiliation, cooperation and interaction between them. The goals of this agreement include:
- Collaboration: To foster cooperation and interaction between the campuses of Kendal at Granville and Denison University for the benefit of both Denison University and Kendal at Granville and their constituent groups.
- Shared programming: To provide enhanced educational opportunities for both KAG residents and DU students, faculty and staff. Shared programs are designed to encourage exposure, interactions and new intergenerational relationships. DU students may participate in service learning, internships and career exploration for senior living occupations. KAG residents may participate in DU classes as community scholars, and may participate in DU-sponsored academic, cultural, artistic and athletic events and activities.
- Employment: To assure a high-quality workforce at KAG, students of DU, and individuals affiliated with DU, may be given priority consideration regarding employment opportunities at KAG.
- Close proximity to university campus: KAG campus is located in close proximity to DU campus. Transportation between the campuses is currently arranged on an “as needed” basis; shared, dedicated transportation options between the two campuses will be further explored.
- Residents with university connections: As a Life Plan retirement community that provides a full spectrum of senior housing options, KAG grants preferential admission to the families of faculty, staff, students and alumni of DU.
Early fruits of this endeavor are the Artist in Residence program, now in its second year. This summer, two Denison students are living on the Kendal at Granville campus, providing arts programming and enrichment while building relationships with residents. This intergenerational opportunity builds powerful experiences for both seniors and young adults, as each learns from the others’ wisdom.
Every indication is that more UBRCs will be built in the coming years to accommodate this growing desire, but why wait? You can take advantage of our tried and true UBRC now! Call today to learn how you can Experience Kendal via a Try It stay.